Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Oatmeal ....how i love thee.........

I’ve always loved breakfast. I had one of those moms who cooked every morning, before school. Mom said that breakfast was the most important meal of the day and that you couldn’t run your engine, unless your tank was full. I distinctly remember her giving me a big bowl of Cream of Wheat and telling me that it would stick to my ribs. I’d walk to school, thinking about those thick clumps of Cream of Wheat, clinging to my ribs and gradually wearing away, as the day went on. I felt like I had protection, invisible breakfast armor. I still do. Audrey and I are the breakfast eaters in this family. We love it and we have to have it, every day. 

Today’s Creativity Journal assignment goes right along with the breakfast theme. Day 9: Make something with your breakfast before you eat it. 
 
Voila! Oatmeal Art 

For a double whammy, I wrote this heartwarming ode, while I was eating: 
Ode to Oatmeal (written during breakfast) 

Oatmeal, my oatmeal, how I love thee 
Thy 100% whole grain oats, rolled to perfection 
Give cause to rejoice and beget morning genuflection 
No wonder the Quaker Man worships you so 

Oatmeal, my oatmeal, thou art far superior 
To the Tiger, the Cap'n, the lowbred Leprechaun 
The sugar-drenched Toucan and the Rabbit, woebegone 
Your soluble fiber brings heart-healthy diets great delight 

Oatmeal, my oatmeal, thy wonders are ceaseless 
Thou reduceth cholesterol, with one mighty sweep 
Thy sodium-free power makes my heart weep 
To be filling, yet nutritious, is beyond human comprehension 

Oatmeal, my oatmeal, I will shower thee with gifts 
Of blueberries, strawberries, raisins and more 
The occasional cinnamon chip from the grocery store 
Your old-fashioned oats will be never be forgotten 
 

(No, I do NOT have too much time on my hands. I was just making creative use of my breakfast time. LOL) 

Eat your breakfast--my mom was smart!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment